Sunday, June 08, 2008

Beating the Heat


It's an early heat wave in late spring in NE Ohio and the heat, humidity and sunshine are putting the scramble on me to access the full cross ventilation benefits of living in a nearly 100 year old house with creatively placed windows that if only I could pry open those that have been painted shut for what are probably dozens of years by now could help really satisfy my need to be content that I do not possess the modern convention of air conditioning.

The dogs press themselves into pancakes on the wood floor and pry one lazy eye open watching me as I use a hammer and a screwdriver as a chisel to do the dirty deed. Even Grace the Cat is stretched out flat and inert to maximize the cool somehow obtained by them low down and on the cooler surface of wood.

This must be what they mean about the dog days of summer. Too bad it's not even summer yet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try a hammer and a...oh, I don't know what it's called, it looks a bit like a spatula but is metal and I belive it has something to do with plaster. Hammer that tool in and around all the edges. Then using a washcloth as a buffer, hammer all around the window edges, the sides, the top, the bottom. (Not the glass part)
P.S. Make sure the bottom isn't painted shut.

 
UA-4111843-1