Friday, October 24, 2008

Today on Today

I usually don't have the time to lollygag in the morning but today I did. I usually don't put on television in the morning but today I did. And today on Today, as it happened, there came upon my screen a story about"Medicating Your Animals."(click on pets link to see the video - it's called "Prozac for your Pets".) Apparently a lot of dog owners don't have the time to actually develop a relationship with their dogs that, gasp, takes time! Would that they did! According to a statistic Matt Lauer posited, no credit given so I'm not sure about the validity of those stats, but, he said: "Americans spend $15 million on mood altering drugs like Prozac and Zoloft, not for themselves, but for their pets."

The story included both Drs. Nicholas Dodman and Ian Dunbar -- both widely respected veterinarians, authors and revered by pet enthusiasts the world over. Both are originally from across the pond by birth, but practice their craft on either side of the U.S.; Dr. Nicholas Dodman in Masssachusttes, and Dr. Dunbar in Northern California.

Both are greatly respected by many including myself and certainly know their stuff. And they clearly share a passion for helping enhance the relationship between people and their canines. But I have to say, having worked with hundreds if not thousands of dogs, including dogs who might have behaviors like Ice in the video clip from previous neglect and/or abuse, I think Dr. Dunbar makes a stronger case for applying behavior modification methods FIRST and then, failing that or needing another boost to reduce symptoms to allow the dog to respond to behavior mod, a brief foray into mood altering drugs.

I was, however, disappointed no mention was made, by anyone reporting in the story, the benefit of tools such as no pull harnesses (worn by Ice in the video but not discussed nor fitted properly IMO), my very own Har-Vest, Trish King's Calming Caps or Susan Sharpe's Anxiety Wraps that can help reduce symptoms without administering meds. Now that could be a very good supplemental clip to Jill Rappapport's focus on animal stories for The Today Show or any other nationally aired public information/news type show!

I'm here if anyone out there wants me for their show!

No comments:

 
UA-4111843-1