Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Trip [The Light Fantastic]


While The CDC (Center for Disease Control) has been working double overtime lately as evidenced by the constant stream of H1N1 Virus (nee Swine Flu) discussion, reporting, analyzing, speculating and more, lesser known perhaps is that in late March of this year they released analyzed fall data and disclosed the following fascinating stats:


• 88% of fall related injuries were associated with dogs or one of their pet items such as a toy or bowl.

• 31.3 % resulted from falling or tripping over the dog (versus the overwhelming 66.4 % of cats being tripped over) which included falls from chasing after a dog with obviously poor recall (another one of The Six Things All Dogs Should Know!)

• 21.2 % from being pushed or PULLED by the pet.

• Women were TWO TIMES AS LIKELY to be injured as males. (Hmmmmm)

The little article that mentioned this in my morning paper caught my eye both because of my chronic emphasis to clients that loose leashing walking is one of The Six Things All Dogs Should Learn and that it's not natural. It is a learned skill that requires time, patience, opportunity, consistency and an awareness of The Three D's and How To Measure Change.

My definition of loose leash walking is not a forced heel or rigidity, it's simply the dog walks without tension and WITHOUT TRIPPING YOU. I might want my dog next to me, slightly behind, slightly in front, and with me in control, slight pulling to help me along when the surface is slippery as I trained Lily to do during the icy months.

Trip The Wonder Dog got his name because he is a real trip, he's little and I knew risk of tripping on him when he was young was a very real concern, and unknown at his naming, has a, shall we say, moderate to high light obsession, hence Trip The Light Fantastic!

For all of you out there, whatever the age or size of your dog or dogs -- Stay stable, be safe, be patient, take your time, and learn how to avoid scary things like tripping which can in fact have a huge negative ripple effect.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminded me of how important dog training is. To train my dogs to get out of my way and stay out from under my feet, and also to train them to pick up their toys and put them away.
Maybe some owners need to be trained also so they put food bowls and water bowls in a place where they won't trip over them.
I just finally put the dogs water bowl on the far end of the kitchen so that they don't drip on my hardwood floors.
Duh! I can't believe how long it took for me to think of that. (My poor floors.)

Anonymous said...

I think dogs really need lessons in good leash behavior. Every owner has the responsibility of introducing leash training on their dogs. Hey, I loved watching this Pup-peroni video http://dogtime.com/dogs-just-know-sweepstakes.html really cool!!

Blair Sorrel said...

Protect yourself and your dog from outdoor shock - www.StreetZaps.com

Unfortunately, most dog walkers discover a danger, only sadly, when victimized and so I wanted to inform you of www.StreetZaps.com, a timely and useful tool intended to reduce the year-round risk of injury and fatality from contact voltage. And so you are aware, I confer with Con Edison's Stray Voltage and Public Affairs Units. Try to make contact with non-conductive surfaces whenever possible. Please see StreetZaps' home and safety sections for protective guidelines and utilize the report form to map tampered equipment and known hot spots. Thank you. Happy safe new year!

In appreciation and with best regards,

Blair Sorrel
Founder
www.StreetZaps.com

 
UA-4111843-1